Saturday, September 30, 2006

traveller

through the years!
I wanted to do this because I thought it would get me thinking:
25 years ago
Hmm, Christina was 8, Katherine was 7 and Yianni was 3. I had just had a major stroke! Was slowly working my way back to talking and beginning to use my right side again.
May I just say this was the single biggest life changing event I have ever dealt with.
Even today I can still feel the effects....such as my handwriting being so bad.
I feel very lucky to be alive, and without major residuals.
The doctors only gave me a 50/50 chance for both of the above. But, with Gods grace and a loving, caring family, I pulled through, and continue to do well.

20 years ago
Petros had started his business, The kids were five years older, we struggled with Petros working day and night to keep us afloat.
Those were hard years for us all. but looking back, learning years too.
My kids were knee deep in school and activites. They had switched to Catholic schools, so that meant lots of driving and parental involvment.
Changed to the labor room as my home work place. WOOHOO

15 years ago
Christina graduated from Central Catholic, Katherine had one more year to go, Yianni was in the 7th grade at St Joes, and My Mom Died!
She was fine one day, and gone the next. She died on Dec 18 funeral on Dec 21, and then Christmas! Christmas has never been the same for me.
Even today, all these years later it is hard for me to write or talk about it.
She was always there for me, and I loved her so much for that.
That threw our family into a turmoil that we are just now recovering from. (my immediate family, brothers, not husband and kids)
I wanted so much for her to be here when Katherine had Maria, born with a cleft. She had been through the same sadness with me. But I think Katherine is so much like my mom, that she took strength from her, even with her not being here.

10 years ago
Christina is now a Whitman graduate, Kathrine is married, and also a Whitman graduate, and Yianni is in high school. Petros and I took a cruise because we had an extra $25,000.00 to throw around, seeings how no college tuition to pay. Leo started law school.
Christina was also diagnosed with lupus. Another heartbreak, but one she had triumphed over. She still struggles with some of the side effects, as it is a life long disease.
Also my dad died. This was hard because he was separated from us. Thats another story thats on worth repeating.

5 years ago
We have a grandson, Pavel, and new son in law Rob, and are pretty much cruising.
Life has settled down. Petros and I have started going to Greece every other year, and I think most likely, on this day were travelling back after a harrowing expierence of being there on 9/11. Katherine and Leo and Pavel were there with us. Aside for the events here, we had a great time. Petros carried Pavel around in a backpack everywhere, calling himself a donkey. It was great fun.

2 years ago
Add 2 more babies to the scene, Pavlos and Maria. They are little monkeys. We call them the twins because they were born 4 months apart. Monkey see monkey do is their theme song. With Pavel being the greatest monkey of them all.
Yianni had met Hannah and proposed to her about this time. They set their wedding date for Aug 27, 2005.
Petros had gone to Greece twice because of his father being ill. The great irony is that his father is still alive, and his mother died last year of pancreatic cancer. No one knows the hour or the day!

Today
I have Pavel and Maria here while Katherine and Leo are in Walla Walla for their 10 year reunion.
We are having fun. Pavlos and Petros came over yesterday with mama. Christina and I tried to get rid of a dead critter under our house.YUCK!
I think we kinda sorta took care of it.
Im going to let this day go by as it may, because of the kids being here.
Tomorrow
Driving the kids to Seattle and then home in one day. Then its back to work!

What I've taken from writing this is life indeed does go on. Despite heartaches, joys, pain and suffering. Tomorrow is always a brand new day. One to look forward too and anticipate.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Wow. It's so great to get to know you better - you are right, so many heartaches but so much joy as well. And, you are such an awesome person, a loving and amazing mom and grandma, and a cool friend!

So lovely!

(PS - I realize I forgot to tell you "Happy Anniversary", so enjoy yourselves!)

Mimi said...

I'm so glad the Protection is still on the Greek Calendar, I should have asked first.

Yes, I will see you next weekend - I'm so excited.