Saturday, June 24, 2006

St John the Forerunner

We went to the St John the Forerunner monastery today for their feast day. It was so fun. It reminded me of being in Greece for a Panayeri, Minus the Greek music and dancing.
There were lots of people there. I was surprised that the number of people from Holy Trinity were mainly Greek immigrants. I think they love feast days more. Maybe they remember their villages, and what they did on this day. It is a big holiday in Greece.
For those of you who dont know, a Panayeri is a festival for a particular Saints name day. They usually are in small villages, and on the islands. Petros' island has so many churches (365) that there is a church for every name day.
They start by carrying the Icon to the church, which is sometimes many miles. Then they have a service, and then food. Then dancing all night. They have provisions for people to stay the night(camp) The next morning they have a morning service, and then food again. Then everyone drags themselves home.
It is really something to see. It has become a big tourist attraction on Petros' island, but that doesnt deter the people.
The person or small community that has the church hosts the event.
I have been to 3. The favorite of Petros is Agia Theodoti. His mother was from there, and helped with the cooking.
At any rate, Im rambling. I throughly enjoyed myself today. Especially when they came out of the church ringing the bells, and carrying the Icon.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

It sounds so lovely! I'm glad you had a good time and traveled safely.

Pear tree cottage! said...

From one grandmother to another hello! from Australia - your blog is very nice and it was lovely to be able to "just drop in!"

Best wishes
Lee-ann

Susan said...

Hello to you lee-ann, all the way down to Australia!
I love being a grandma too, or yiayia as they call me in Greek.
I loved your needlework pictures. My grandma used to make me all kinds of things. My favorite was the seven days of the week hand towels.
I should have kept them!
I look forward to hearing from you again.
Congratulations on your new grandbaby. With each one is just seems to get sweeter!
We have 4 now, and one son hasnt even started. He is married now, so thats a good beginning!