Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gigates

I'm doing this for Mimi, per special request.....HAHA Gigates is giant in Greek!
I made these beans or dinner tonight. Petros really loves fasting food more that non fasting I think:)
These are really rich, and I dont really follow a recipe, but here goes:

2 cups large lima beans clean the beans , wash under cold water and soak over
night.
Drain and rinse, put in saucepan and boil or 30 min
Set aside in a bowl.
1/4 cup olive oil (I use Canola when fasting)
1 large onion sliced thin 2 cups carrots While the beans are cooking saute vegetables 10 min
6 large cloves of garlic finely sliced.


Add garlic and veggies, stir and add to beans
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce Add in the sauce, I use my pan I cook the beans in
3 cups water
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
Toss to combine all ingredients

Place in a 9x12 baking pan, I use a glass baking dish.Cover tightly with foil. Place on bottom rack of oven@ 375 for 40 minutes.
Uncover and bake another 20 minutes.
This is a play it by ear recipe. I make modifications all the time. I make it w/o veggies Petros doesnt eat cooked vegtables!
I sometimes add a small can of V8 juice
You need to add water and stir every so often.
I ususally cook it a lot longer on a slower oven,
Petros loves this dish:)
It really smells wonderful while cooking:)
I also make the sign of the cross in oil over the dish before it bakes. Not to much though.
Just a little something I always do. The olive oil makes it sooooo good!

6 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Thanks for sharing this :) I will definitely be trying it out!

Mimi said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And, you've mentioned something that I've let go, I used to cross over my bread, and I've not done that lately. You reminded me that I should be doing that.

Iconography Girl said...

Seraphim and I were just commenting that your daughter must get her excellent cooking ability from YOU. Thanks for posting this -- I LOVE this dish and can't wait to make it. Seraphim doesn't like lima beans but that is fine; more for me!

Iconography Girl said...

Question: how do you think this would do in a crock pot (after the beans have been soaked and boiled for 30 minutes)?

Susan said...

Rachel,
You can also use Butter Beans, or Great Northern.
I dont see why the crock pot wouldnt work.
Petros loves to eat the crunchy partially burnt on part, so I always bake it.
Thank you for the compliment for my daughter.
I always had the girls plan and execute a meal a week. They told me what they were going to make, bought grocery's, and then made it.
I started this when they were about 11-12.
I think thats why they are both such good cooks!
Mimi, my father in law, memory eternal, always crossed the bottome of the bread. I dont ever remember, but then I dont usually cut the bread, Petros does:)

Annie said...

That sounds really delicious!