Wednesday, September 23, 2009

So we are back, a little tired, but thats to be expected. It was a grueling 21 hour trip.
We flew from Athens to Atlanta, 12 hours, 2 hours in Atlanta, then 4 1/2 hours to Portland.
We have made the trip in 14 hours, but that is going through Amsterdam. They didnt offer that flight. Delta has kind of taken over KLMS business. Anyway I dont think we will do that again.
The trip to Moscow was wonderful. It is such a city of differences.
There are still many reminders of soviet times. Towers with stars on them, statues (Moscow has many), the hammer and sycle (sp)...and yet many churches. All newly reconstructed since the fall of the Soviet Union. They have completely rebuilt many of the cathedrals to exact replicas of the previous ones.
We had a ball with Katherine. She took us everywhere, all on foot. We came home every afternoon with tired feet:) The sidewalks seem so hard, maybe because of the cold weather.
It was reassuring to see Katherine going about her daily routines...although I think she really misses Seattle:)
Like I told her, people are people, everywhere you go.
The highlight of our trip was visiting the school that the kids attend. The students were all so well behaved..
The driver that took us back to the airport at 230 am was, I think, Boris Yeltsen reincarnated.
Only now he has a crewcut. Now Ive been in lots of scarey taxis. Greece isnt known for its safe drivers, but man, this one took the cake. He jerked, and swerved, speeded up, slammed on the brakes, for no apparent reason. The only good thing was he had an Icon of the Panayia in the car.
Like that would save us!!
I did notice when we got back to Athens how much happier people seemed to be. The Russians are pretty glum.
We also bought a washer in Athens. This is a huge deal. We had to go to the laundromat, then shlep the wet laundry back to the apartment and hang it out to dry. It was a huge project..anyway, Im very happy to have a little piece of home now.
I am really tired, and am rambling.
Theres no place like home!!!!!

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Sorry to hear that you've been under the weather sick.

You must own an apt. in Greece since you bought a washing machine.

I really loved Moscow and the sights but wished my daughter and family were back in NY. The feeling I had standing in Red Square was unreal as we grew up fearing the Soviets and the threat of war. After seeing Red Square on the news so often when they had the big parades, it was so strange to actually be standing in the same spot and looking at St. Basile's and the Kremlin Wall.

I remember the first time that I saw the Alps and feeling that I had as it was so specatular.

Glad that you had such a good visit with your daughter and her family. There is so much to see in Moscow and you'll need multiple visits.

You're now back to reality at home but after being away, it's good to be back in our bed and home.

Maria Verivaki said...

it was lovely to see the photos of you and the family in moscow - a trip to treasure!

Annie said...

You don't post very much! I am sorry I didn't comment - between your daughter's blog and facebook, I felt I knew all about your trip.

I hope you enjoy the buttermilk pie. I think it is beyond good.

Susan said...

The pie Annie was delish!!! Petros loved it,as I knew he would.
I dont care if you answer me much, I follow everyone daily on Facebook and blogs. I feel as if Ive known you forever:)

Annie said...

I'm so glad you liked it! (I don't think it is very healthy, but it sure is good!)