Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Katherine

Just wanted to note that thirty five years ago tomorrow, Katherine was born, after only 2 hours of labor.
She was my second daughter, only 19 months after the first, Christina. She was to be the middle child. But I didnt know that at the time:)
Right from the start she showed her stubborn spirit. I tried to hold both babies on the rocking chair together. It was Katherine that started trying to kick (literally)Christina off my lap when she was only around three months.
I had to have my gall bladder removed when she was 6 weeks old. Yiayia came from Greece to "help." Katherine was named for her. She stayed for 4 weeks, Katherine became very spoiled!!!
I have to say she grew into a delightful child. She was always so easy going! (arent all middle children, myself included!"
She has always had her own mind, and her own way of doing things.
I am so very proud of her.
She faced the birth of Maria with dignity and grace. Maria had a cleft lip and palate. I only wish my mom were alive to see Maria, and especially Katherines ability to handle whatever comes her way. I too was born with a cleft.
This past year was one of many, many challenges. From Leo losing his job, taking a job in Moscow, being left alone to close up the house, get the cars sold, get the house rented, on and on.
She "stepped up to the plate." As she always does. Oh, and did I mention in the midst of all this she had baby # 3..
She also makes me laugh:)
I continue to be in awe of the way she handles problems. She meets them head on. She has her times, she sometimes wants to give up, but she keeps on putting one foot in front of the other.
She is my sweet, stubborn, funny, little girl, I will always be proud of her and love her!!!
And I miss her more than just a little bit:)

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Happy Birthday! What a great post~ she rocks!

katbat said...

Aww - I just read this. How nice! Any grace I have shown I learned from you.

Susan said...

AwwGee Katherine, thats so nice! I learned from my mama too....

Tina in CT said...

What a beautiful post.

I look forward hopefully having an expat ladies lunch while I'm in Moscow over the holidays and meeting your daughter.

She sure had a lot to handle by herself this past year.

Two hours of labor - how lucky!

Thanks for your comment today on my blog. Yes, nice summer memories to tuck away with our Moscow trip memories. I'll be making a scrapbook of each trip.