Monday, November 07, 2005

Here we are, home again. I had planned on making this my diary, but alas, it was too far down to the Port to go everyday. Plus, the computers at the internet cafe werent that good.
At any rate, our trip to Greece was good. We made it home in one piece today, after a 25 hour trip. Spending hours in foreign airports is not my cup of tea.
We went for Petros' mother. She was dying of pancreatic cancer. I have checked on some cancer sites. Several of them say that the pt "succumed to the beast." That was exactly as I saw it. It was a very painful death for her.
She spoke to Katherine, Maria, and Petros. Spoke, really only said their names.
Her funeral was nice. I like the Greek way of death. No fancy funerals. Just plain. person laid out in the living room, no embalming, no expensive casket, no fancy cars. Actually on cars what so ever. She was carried to the church by pall bearers, and to the cemetery by same pall bearers.
On the day after the funeral they put boiled wheat and corn on the grave site so the birds would carry her soul to heaven. A nice thought.
Anyway we are home, and as the saying goes, there is no place like home!!
Susan

No comments: