Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Heres my strawberry shortcake recipe for Maria:
Pretty basic
Pound cake cut into squares
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 eggs1 teaspoon orange or lemon peel
3 cups flour
1/2 teas salt
1/2 teas baking powder
1 cup sour cream or yogurt

Heat oven to 350, grease and flour 12 c bundt pan
combine sugar and butter, beat until fluffy
beat in vanilla, add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended
mix dry ingredients in separate bowl, add alternately with sour cream/yogurt
pour into pan, (very thick batter)
bake for 55-65 minutes (mine took a little longer, I think my oven is a little off)
remove from oven. place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Invert on plate..let cool for 1 hour

Cut up strawberries and sprinkle scant amount sugar over top.
refrigerate for 1/2 hour, mix strawberries and sugar (this makes a nice juice)
Place strawberries over cake and top with whipped cream or icecream.
A truly all American dessert!!

6 comments:

katbat said...

I love strawberry shortcake!

Annie said...

That is an interesting pound cake recipe! I think I'll try it!

Susan said...

The sour cream or yogurt gives it a little zip!!
I love pound cake, mmmmmmmmmso full of butter:)

Annie said...

Yes, Susan....unfortunately I do too!!!

Maria Verivaki said...

thanks susan - i shall try to make it some time in teh next week

Annie said...

Hey! I forgot to tell you I tried this! It was wonderful. I meant to take a big chunk of it to my mom, but before I could do that the boys got to it. Very popular. :)