Sunday, May 10, 2009

5 things I like about being a mom

I picked this up off Annies blog. I, like her, was always last to be picked for teams, but I've grown past that (sort of)

1. I loved being pregnant. Loved the deliveries, loved having newborns. Even thought they were lots of work. More than anyone can ever tell you:) When they placed Christina on my chest I was overcome with the most profound feeling of responsibility. I was washed in love and thankfulness to God also, but it was the huge feeling that I was responsible for this little life.
I worked in L&D for 25 years, and believe me when I say, not everyone feels this way!
I loved that I, me, was given that gift of raising a child, does that make sense.

2. I am so proud of my kids, all three. Not just their accomplishments. They are such neat, fun, loving people. I look at them and think "where did these beings come from!" I feel so overwhelmed with gratitude for them.

3. I loved when they were small listening to their conversations with each other. Eavsedropping and hearing what their thoughts and insights were. I still love to do this with my grandbabies.
I remember when Pavel was 5 and Maria was 3, we were going to the airport in Athens in a taxi. It was literally the middle of the night. Pavel was explaining what all the lights were along the way to Maria. He was almost whispering it, and she was responding with such awe. That was just one of the many times I have loved just sitting and observing them.

4. I love the feeling that we are coming full circle. I dont think I would feel that way if I never had children. I feel that we are a part of some big plan. (Gods)

5. I love being Yiayia. It is the most fun, most rewarding, most awe inspiring thing ever. If you havent done it, I am so sad for you.
My little grandchildren are a delight to me. With their hugs, their dirty faces, their sneaking candy from my "snack room" they named it. It is really my pantry.
"Nobody goes in time out at Pappous' house" They say this and believe it!!Petros is always getting in trouble with the parents because he doesnt make the kids go to time out, if they go, he goes with them. I have seen him sitting on the floor with the kids in the corner multiple times.

I guess I love the role I was given in this life. To have children, raise them the best I knew how, and now, reap the rewards of the grandchildren they have blessed us with.
I think I owe much of these gifts to my Mother. She was such a good mom and grandma, and I think she instilled so much love in me.

6 comments:

Annie said...

How sweet! I love that term "washed over me" - exactly the words. I have a hard time believing that every mother doesn't feel that way. How sad.

I envy you being a grandmother. I am a grandmother but Calvin lives far away and has seen me only a couple of times in his one and a half years. Poor me.

Mimi said...

Oh sniff, sniff! Beautiful post.
Happy Mother's Day!

Kristin said...

I got a little teary, there, Susan. Beautiful.

How blessed you are! Wonderful.

Love the pic of you and Petros on your blog, too. :-)

Michelle M. said...

That is so sweet! Happy Mother's Day! I hope it was a wonderful day because you deserve it!

Xenia Kathryn said...

You're an amazing mom (and yia yia), Susan!!

Much love and admiration,
Katie

Maria Verivaki said...

i know i love my kids, but i also love my husband and because we had our kids so much later in life, i know it's very hard work for both of us. the good thing is that i know we'd still have lots to say and do with each other even if we didnt have kids after all, but i;m glad we did have them in the end